Corona Virus or COVID-19 has already changed the way people work and do businesses. Due to the highly contagious nature of the pandemic, companies around the world has rolled out mandatory remote work or work from home arrangements. Social distancing has become the most important measure to take in order to prevent the spread of the virus. That means it is not practical to go to office in the morning and work as usual.
However this doesn’t mean the businesses and economic activities should come to a standstill. It is extremely important for the economy to keep going at a challenging time like now. That means every single business irrespective of the capacity should continue. It is difficult, but possible.
Let me help you with few tips and tools to get through this challenging time.
Most important characteristics for remote working are as follows.
- Effective communication between team members
- Using appropriate online tools
- Being organized and disciplined.
Effective communication is extremely important for a remote work arrangement. Your team members cannot refer to you as and when there is an issue. Also you cannot continuously check on the work done by your team. So it is crucial you communicate clearly the specific tasks to be completed by each team member and be available on email, chat etc. to give instruction as and when it is needed.
You can use Google chat, whatsapp, Email, Zoom etc. to ensure effective communication. Also try to assign a tech-savvy person for the team members to get support from while using the various online tools.
Below are few tips to be organized and disciplined to work from home.
- Wake up in the morning as usual and be presentable. You may have to attend video calls.
- Communicate with your colleagues and team mates to plan the day.
- Have a virtual meeting with your team in the morning and decide the work to be done within the day and decide who is going to do what.
- Plan the day with your team and stick to the plan.
- Have another meeting at the end of working hours to evaluate day’s progress.
- Have a specific room or a place where you can keep your laptop, your coffee, note book and make sure there is no bed close by.
- You will have more time than a usual working day in office because you do not need to travel. Use that time to take few short breaks, check on your family and cook your meals.
- Allocate time for your family, so that they will not disturb you while you are working.
There are many technologies available to facilitate your work from home arrangements.
- Gmail is great tool you can use. You can use Google Drive to store your documents and also your team can work together in the documents saved in Google Drive. Google drive considered as the best file management solution. It has the option to give access separately to your team members as required. Group chat and group email is also available to make things easy.
- Zoom is a great app to have video conferencing. They have managed to eliminate many technical glitches to give a quality service. It allows you to view everyone on the chat at once and makes it feel like your team in close together.
- Trello is a great project management tool. It’s known for its style, simplicity and performance. By visualizing what needs to get done and aggregating feedback from the whole team, Trello helps remote teams increase their productivity. This helps you to keep track of work, update progress and also get your team to give feedback on any issues.
- Corporate specific systems and tools. If your company has tailor made systems and remote working tools this is the time to use them and make the best out of them.
While the above tools are available, there are few basic things you need to equip yourself with.
- A laptop or a computer. A smart phone also can do most of the things in a desperate situation.
- A good internet connection. Your WiFi connection will be very important.
- A little bit of practice to use the online tools recommended by your company.
- A peaceful place in the house to work.
I hope the above tips will help you to continue with your work and businesses. Continue working at this challenging time will not only safeguard your interest as an individual or a business but also will be helping the country’s economy as well.